Independent Communities is owned by Independent Communities, Inc., sponsored by Shepard Center (www.shepherd.org), and professionally managed by Housing Resource Center, Inc.
Independent Communities is:
- A 14-unit independent living apartment complex designed especially for persons with disabilities
- Sponsored and owned by the Shepherd Center of Atlanta.
- All apartments are affordable. Residents pay no more than 30 percent of their income for rent and utilities. Incomes must be under the current HUD-published income limits for this fiscal year
- Independent Communities is comprised of nine, one-bedroom units of 540 square feet and five, two-bedroom units of 800 square feet.
Part of the Scottish Rite Hospital redevelopment and revitalization of the Historic Oakhurst district, Independent Communities is sponsored by the Shepherd Center and funded from the Department of Housing & Urban Development under their Section 811 Supportive Housing for Persons with Disabilities Program.
All units are 100 percent accessible with the following features: wider doors, barrier-free, roll-under sinks in bathroom and kitchen, refrigerators with ice makers, barrier-free roll-in shower, raised commodes, lowered cabinets and countertops, lowered closets, lowered thermostats, side by side refrigerators, etc.
The apartments have gas heat and hot water, electric air-conditioning and electric stoves. Residents are responsible for securing their own electric, gas, telephone, and cable television service.
- East Lake Golf Course
- McKoy Park
- Oakhurst Park
- Plenty of shopping and nearby food options
- Five minutes from downtown Decatur
How to Apply:
- The waiting list for Independent Communities is “closed.” We are not taking/accepting applications at this time.